The baseball team's pitching shut down one of the better offenses in the country on the way to a 9-0 victory over Dallas Baptist University on Tuesday.

The Patriots were tied for 23rd in the NCAA in runs scored going into Tuesday’s game and posted 30 runs in a victory against the Air Force Academy on Sunday.

Senior pitcher Drew Gooch bounced back from a rough start to his season, with seven shutout innings in what was his first start of 2019.

“It means a lot,” Gooch said. “I’ve struggled for the past two years now, and to have this moment, it’s been unbelievable.”

Gooch had only pitched 1 ⅓ innings over three relief appearances leading into Tuesday night. He had allowed eight runs in his short work and was yet to record a strikeout in 2019.

But in the first start of his senior season, Gooch allowed only four hits to the potent Patriot offense, striking out four and appearing to be in control for the entire game.

“He was ready for his turn,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “You’re not ready for your turn if you don’t do things right on an everyday basis. And if anybody on our team does things right on an everyday basis and stays ready, it’s him.”

The highlight of Gooch’s night came in the form of a strikeout against the last batter he faced. His swinging K of Dallas Baptist's junior catcher Herbert Iser shut down a potential Patriot rally and brought Gooch off the mound to meet a rowdy UTA dugout.

“It was unbelievable tonight; they were behind me the entire time,” Gooch said of his teammates. “They were all for me going out there and shoving it.”

Beyond the stellar pitching, it was a complete victory for the Mavericks on Tuesday night. The bats came alive as UTA posted nine runs on 13 hits in their win.

They were led by their big bats in the middle of the lineup. Junior outfielder Andrew Miller went 2 for 4 with two RBIs and three runs scored while junior designated hitter Anthony Dominguez added three RBIs of his own.

The Mavericks won’t get to enjoy their victory for very long, however, as the team will return to Arlington and Clay Gould Ballpark to square off against Abilene Christian University at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"This is a big win for us, but like I told them, we gotta come out tomorrow,” Thomas said. “We gotta be ready to go, and I know we will.”

@coylio33