The baseball team dropped its fifth straight matchup Tuesday night against Dallas Baptist University by a score of 7-1.

The losing streak comes immediately after a nine-game winning streak that began in mid-April.

“We’re not playing well right now, but everybody goes through it,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “We just gotta rally, get our guys together and get ready to play this weekend.”

The game was delayed upwards of an hour and a half because of inclement weather. Once play commenced, UTA sophomore pitcher Nick Skeffington took the mound for his first start of the season.

Skeffington worked 3 ⅔ innings and allowed three runs, which was all the offense the Patriots would need on the night.

“I thought [Skeffington] was good,” Thomas said. “He hadn’t been out there in a while, I thought he did a good job. Maybe that’s something we could build on there.”

The UTA offense was hapless during the game, managing only four hits, all of which were singles. The lone Maverick run was driven in by junior outfielder Connor Aube, who returned to the leadoff spot for the first time since returning from a hand injury.

The Mavericks remain in second place in the West Division of the Sun Belt Conference and will take on the University of Louisiana Monroe in a three-game road swing this weekend. With only three Sun Belt series remaining in the season, it’s a crucial stretch for UTA baseball.

The Mavericks and the Warhawks fire up their in-conference series at 6 p.m. Friday at Warhawk Field in Monroe, Louisiana.

@coylio33