The baseball team (12-9, 1-2) and 22nd-ranked Texas Christian University squared off at Globe Life Park in Arlington on Tuesday night in the first of what will be three games between the teams this season.

TCU took the first matchup by a final score of 5-3 and handed UTA its third straight loss.

“They’re a quality team, and they can pitch,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “When you get behind, here comes one arm. If they make a mistake, here comes a better arm.”

TCU did most of its damage in the fourth inning with a three-run home run by junior infielder Conner Shepherd deep to right center field that sailed into the home bullpen. The bomb broke a 1-1 tie and gave the Horned Frogs a lead that they wouldn’t lose.

The Mavericks had a pair of potential rallies stifled in the sixth and again in the ninth by outstanding defensive plays from TCU.

Junior outfielder Anthony Dominguez ripped a ball down the first baseline in the sixth that would have driven in two runs if not for a diving play by junior infielder Jake Guenther from TCU.

Later, a ninth inning leadoff single by junior infielder Zac Cook was erased after junior infielder Josh Minjarez smoked a line drive that was caught by Shepherd. Cook was unable to get back to first base in time and was doubled off on Shepherd’s throw.

“It was just one of those games where things didn’t roll our way,” Minjarez said.

The Mavericks also committed four errors defensively, one of which led to TCU’s first run of the game.

Junior outfielder Connor Aube continues to lead the Mavericks offensively. The junior went 2-4 with a triple to increase his batting average to .355.

The Mavericks will meet the Horned Frogs again on April 2 and April 16, though this matchup is the only one that will be played at Globe Life Park.

It was the eighth time the Mavericks have played in the big league stadium, and both Thomas and Minjarez said that they’re always playing good teams when they play at the ballpark.

“We always bring in a very good club, and every year’s a challenge for us,” Minjarez said. “Wish we could’ve won tonight, but it’s always a pleasure, and we always thank the Rangers for letting us do this every year.”

The Mavericks will head to Atlanta this weekend for a three-game series against Georgia State University in their first conference road series of the year. First pitch in Atlanta will be at 5 p.m. Friday. 

@coylio33