The baseball team (19-10, 7-2) swept its weekend series against the University of South Alabama with an 11-5 win Sunday at Clay Gould Ballpark.

The Mavericks continued their run of building an early lead and hanging on to win. After an unearned run off sophomore pitcher David Moffat gave the Jaguars a brief one-run lead in the third inning, the Mavericks struck back with six runs over the next two frames. They never let the Jaguars back within four runs. 

UTA trailed for around 10 minutes in real time across the entire weekend.

“It’s encouraging, very encouraging,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “I just liked our fight all weekend long. It wasn’t always pretty, but we found a way to score, and we found a way to hold ‘em.”

The Mavericks posted 10 or more hits in all three games against South Alabama, and scored 26 runs over that stretch.

Once again, UTA was led on offense by the top two slots of its lineup. The one-two combination of junior outfielder Connor Aube and senior catcher Will Olson went a combined 11-25 on the weekend, with five doubles and eight runs scored between them.

Olson continued to streak on Sunday, going 1-3 with two walks. He also scored twice.

“We’re starting to come together and swing the bat well,” Olson said of the team’s offense. 

He also credited the Mavericks’ pitching for the winning weekend, saying that the team will continue to play well if they keep pitching like they have been.

Moffat took the mound for the eighth time this season and allowed an earned run over 5 ⅔ innings. He currently owns a 2-2 record with a 3.86 ERA on the year.

With the win, the Mavericks improved their overall record to 19-10 and have won seven of their last eight games.

Their league record improves to 7-2 with their sixth straight Sun Belt Conference victory. With Coastal Carolina University and Texas State University taking losses in their Sun Belt matchups, the Mavericks are now tied with Arkansas State University for the best record in the conference.

Next, the Mavericks will square off against Texas Christian University for their second of three matchups this season. TCU won the first game at Globe Life Park in Arlington by a score of 5-3.

UTA will attempt to even the season series at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Lupton Stadium in Fort Worth.

“I’m excited, it’s always fun playing those guys,” Olson said. “Then again, it’s just any other team. Just go play Maverick baseball, and we’ll do good.”

@coylio33