The baseball team (28-13, 14-4) continued its hot streak into Saturday afternoon and completed its sweep of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette with a 9-5 win.

The Mavericks had previously defeated the Ragin’ Cajuns on Friday and Saturday. Their win on Sunday marked the team’s ninth-straight victory, and its seventh-straight Sun Belt Conference win.

“We’re having a lot of good fortune right now,” hitting coach Fuller Smith said. “When you’re hitting well, there’s a lot of confidence going around. Guys feel good about themselves. That seems to go on to the next guy, and the next guy.”

The game was tied at one through five innings before the UTA bats came alive and drove in eight runs over the next three innings.

Over the three-game stretch, the Mavericks outscored the Ragin’ Cajuns 16-7 from the seventh inning on.

“It’s a pretty good feeling, knowing that your bullpen’s got your back, your defense has got your back, and your bats have got your back, too,” sophomore starting pitcher David Moffat said.

Moffat started his 11th game for the Mavericks and got them through eight innings of one-run ball. It’s the fifth time in Moffat’s last seven starts that he’s allowed one earned run or fewer, and the second in his last three that he’s logged eight innings.

“I was able to locate pitches,” Moffat said. “If they’re putting balls in play, and my defense is making plays, and I can locate my pitches, I can do whatever I need to do.”

With conference foe Texas State University winning in walk-off fashion on Saturday, the Mavericks retain their two-game lead in the west division of the Sun Belt. At 14-4, the Mavericks currently own the best record in the conference.

UTA will travel to College Station on Tuesday to take on seventh-ranked Texas A&M University before continuing Sun Belt play with a three-game series against Appalachian State University next weekend.

For now, the team can enjoy its win streak.

“We’re having a blast,” Moffat said. “It’s always a lot better when you win, and we’re having a lot of fun playing right now.”

@coylio33