The baseball team (20-13, 8-4) was able to salvage its weekend series by taking the third of three games against the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and avoiding a sweep.

UTA dropped the first two games of the series on Friday and Saturday but jumped out to an early lead on Sunday and held on for a final score of 11-1.

“That’s the whole key; you get a good start like that and you get the lead,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “That’s the difference. We were never winning [over the weekend] until today, never had the lead until today.”

The Mavericks gave up big first innings in each of the first two games of the series, allowing the Trojans to score four in the first on Friday and five in the first on Saturday. 

This time it was UTA putting the game out of reach early. The Mavericks knocked in five runs in the second inning and three more in the third.

The Mavericks’ offensive outburst was led by sophomore infielder Boone Montgomery, who went 4-4 on the day with a triple and five RBIs.

“It feels really good. I’m just glad we won,” Montgomery said. “We dropped the first two so it felt good to get a win.”

UTA got another good performance out of sophomore starter David Moffat, who allowed only a single earned run for the third straight start. 

Moffat is credited with an eight-inning complete game after the matchup was called in the eighth inning because of the ten-run rule. He allowed seven hits and struck out five in the win.

“He was throwing more than one pitch for a strike and keeping them off-balance,” Thomas said of his starter. “He stayed out of fastball counts, which is what we didn’t do the first two nights. We were always in a fastball count and they could cheat a little bit.”

Moffat held the Trojans to one run and lowered his ERA to 3.40 on the season.

The highlight of the game was the fourth inning Funk on Funk matchup between UTA senior outfielder Aaron Funk and Little Rock freshman pitcher Aaron Funk. Pitcher Aaron Funk won the matchup with a strikeout in their only at-bat against each other, though batter Aaron Funk went 1-3 on the day with an RBI. 

The Mavericks kept pace with the leaders of the Sun Belt Conference after the win Sunday. UTA is currently in a three-way tie with Coastal Carolina University and Arkansas State University for the best conference record, standing at 8-4.

Next up, UTA will host Baylor University at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Clay Gould Ballpark.

@coylio33