UTA Track and Field teams race in day one of competition

Senior distance runner Joel Duren makes his way to the finish line to sweep up first place in the men's 3000 meter run Feb. 19 at the 2018 Sun Belt Indoor Track and Field Championships inside the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama. "When I went on the last turn, I just felt like wow, I did it again, it was amazing," Duren said.

ALABAMA — In day one of the 2018 Sun Belt Indoor Track and Field Championships, the track and field teams got off to a slow start, but quickly found their rhythm as the women vaulted into third place with 23 points and the men ended the day in second place with 32 points on Monday in Birmingham, Alabama.

Many Mavericks showed notable performances, including junior Alexus Henry who secured a second-place finish in the women’s high jump with a best attempt of 1.82 meters, scoring eight points for the UTA women.

UTA had three runners finished in the top five of the men’s 3000 meter dash. Senior distance runner Joel Duren defended his title, taking first with a time of 8:20.17, scoring 10 points. Sophomore distance runner Justin Domangue finished second with a time of 8:21.99, scoring eight points and senior distance runner Michael Guerrero finished fourth with a time of 8:23.17, scoring five points.

Junior sprinter Erik Martinsson had a day to remember, finishing first in his heat, third overall in the men’s 800 meters with a time of 1:53.94, and seventh overall in the men’s 400 meters with a time of 49.53.

UTA had first and third place finishes from junior sprinters David Seastrunk (48.25) and Brenden Wallace (48.45). Junior sprinter D’Undre Mitchell also finished sixth overall with a time of 49.28.

Junior jumper Isaiah McBride finished fourth overall in men’s long jump, clearing 7.20 meters.

Senior sprinter Taylor Davis finished fifth in the women’s 400 meter prelims, with a time of 56.44 to advance to the finals. Freshmen sprinters Tatyana Terrell and Erica Cormier-Jordan finished ninth and tenth with times of 56.95 and 57.06 respectively.

The Mavericks ended the meet with the distance medley relay. The team of  Davis, freshman distance runner Madeleine Rowe, senior sprinter Dasia Rolfe, and senior distance runner Tori Shelton finished fourth with an overall time of 12:08.82.

Next up, the Mavericks continue their quest for the conference title in day two of the championships, starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama.

@ALShorthorn