UTA likes chances in Texas showdown

Peter Cuomo prepares for his turn at bat at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. This will be the Mavericks first time playing at Globe Life Park since the new name change. The Mavericks will play UT-Austin at Globe Life Park March 17.

The athletics department will host a tailgate and offer free food, T-shirts and transportation to the baseball team’s first-ever meeting with the UT-Austin on Tuesday at Globe Life Park.

UTA (9-7, 4-2 Sun Belt) and Texas (13-7, 2-1 Big 12) will play at 6 p.m. in Arlington for the first time in their 34-year history to open a seven-game conference break.

UTA students are allowed two free tickets through utatickets.com. General admission is offered at a discounted rate of $8, but will be on sale for $12 at Globe Life on game day. The tailgate begins at 4 p.m. in Lot A with free T-shirts available for students. Chairs, coolers and grills are welcome, but glass bottles will be prohibited.

Buses will be stationed at the corner of Center Street and Moritz Plaza and will drop off and return to UTA at the intersection of Nolan Ryan Expressway and Randol Mill Road until all students are back on campus.

General parking in Lot A will be $5. The first base gate opens at 5 p.m. for all ticket holders.

The Mavericks are 0-3 in their stint at Globe Life against Big 12 schools Texas Christian University and the University of Oklahoma, and Southeastern Conference competitor Texas A&M University.

“Jim Baker, our athletics director, has done a good job of getting us some games out there, and we’ve been fortunate we’ve got quality opponents on our schedule,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “That makes it more fun when you’re playing somebody that has tradition. We’re looking forward to it.”

@CassieLogan_UTA

cassandra.logan@mavs.uta.edu