Sun Belt Conference selects Cierra Johnson as women’s basketball Player of the Week

Senior guard Cierra Johnson jumps for the ball during the game against the University of Arkansas on Nov. 14, 2018 at College Park Center. Johnson was named the Sun Belt Conference women's basketball Player of the Week.

Senior guard Cierra Johnson was named the Sun Belt Conference women’s basketball Player of the Week on Monday.

The Bedford, Texas, native played a pivotal role in UTA’s two home wins to kick off 2019, breaking a personal record and a UTA record in each game.

Against Appalachian State University on Jan. 10, Johnson collected 29 points — her new career-high — four assists and six steals. UTA won 99-94 in a double-overtime thriller.

Two days later she set a new program record, snagging her 286th career steal to surpass alumna Allison Gray’s record of 285. Johnson’s seven steals, 12 points, six rebounds and five assists lifted UTA to a 79-53 win over Coastal Carolina University.

Johnson ended the week averaging 20.5 points, 6.5 steals and 4.5 assists per game to claim the Sun Belt’s weekly award. She is the first Lady Maverick to receive the honor in the 2018-19 season.