default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Softball team helps out in the community

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 6:20 pm | Updated: 8:42 pm, Fri Sep 14, 2012.

The new softball coaching staff has only been on campus for a short time but they are determined to make community service a priority.

The softball team spent Wednesday and Friday afternoons doing several tasks at Mission Arlington to help those in need.  

The team set up a church service, cleaned out the Bob Mann Medical Clinic and the Allan Saxe Dental Clinic and helped organize boxes inside of the Mission Arlington facility.

Softball head coach Kristie Fox said she will continue to have the softball team take part in community service because she wants them to build relationships with people in the area.

Assistant coach Meagan Denny-White played a big role in organizing the event.

"It really warms my heart to give back," Denny-White said. "I really think with everything that we get, if we don’t give back, then it’s all for nothing."

Denny-White has enjoyed doing community service since her days as a softball pitcher for the University of Texas.

Most people are not in a situation to play sports in return for a college scholarship, so Denny-White said community service can really humble the players and make them appreciate what they have.

Senior outfielder Kallan Thompson said she appreciates what others have done to contribute to her softball career.

“I feel like other people go through so much to allow us to do what we do, so it gives us a chance to serve others.”

Senior pitcher Teri Lyles, a three-year starter for UTA, enjoyed the camaraderie that comes along with giving back to the community.

"It’s cool to do it as a team because we aren’t just giving something back, but we are bonding as a team," Lyles said.

The team has more community service scheduled for the near future. On Sept. 20 the team will practice with a local youth softball team and on Sept. 29 they will take part in a game with the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball team.

"The reason that we do this is to use our softball talents as a platform to give back," Denny-White said. "We play softball so we can be given the opportunities to meet new people and help the needy and give back what we’ve been given."

@RealSwiftMcVay

sports-editor@shorthorn.uta.edu

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad