multi.oozeball2.dv.9.23.16.jpg

Philosophy freshman Travis Councell attempts to hit a volleyball back over at Oozeball on the Oozeball field on Friday. Oozeball is an annual event held at UTA where students play volleyball in a mud field.

As enrollment continues to grow at UTA, so does the number of participants in one of the university’s most popular events, Oozeball.

Campus Recreation’s annual mud volleyball tournament had a record of 106 teams registered and more than 600 participants, said Drew Barfield, intramural sports assistant director. 

Ginny Morris history and German junior participated in the event as a freshman in 2014 and has competed every year since.

“I love volleyball and I always played in the mud when I was little,” Morris said. “It’s the perfect combination.”

Morris’s team lost in their first game, but she said she has no doubt she’s playing for a fourth consecutive year in 2017.

Teams who lost their first game were guaranteed one more exhibition game. Teams who won their first game moved into a winners' bracket that would decide the tournament’s champion.

The bracket was down to 16 teams after about four hours. Sigma Chi 2.0 won four straight matches to be crowned Oozeball champions.

When industrial engineering senior Hassan Zuberi’s team was finished for the day, he took a dive face first into one of the wet, muddy courts before taking a team photo.

“There’s no reason to take the picture if you’re not gonna be dirty,” Zuberi said.

Zuberi wished he would have participated in the event earlier in his college career, and he said he will try to participate in more events before he graduates.

@KevinCUTA