The Movin’ Mavs put forth an impressive performance at the Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks Invitational Tournament over the weekend.

The team won four straight games after losing its first to the nationally ranked Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks on Friday.

A busy Saturday saw the team win three games, all by double digits.

“Coming off a loss in the first game yesterday and then finishing off strong against the Wolfpack, I think that positivity and energy followed through to [Saturday],” senior Fabian Romo said.

The Movin’ Mavs ran away with their first two Saturday games, doubling up both opponents. They defeated the Mary Free Bed Pacers by a score of 62-31 and the Kansas City Predators by a score of 73-36.

The team built an early lead in game three in a rematch against the San Diego Wolfpack and was able to hang on despite a fourth quarter push by the Wolfpack.

The team’s deep bench and the ability to utilize different lineups was key to its string of victories, head coach Doug Garner said after game three.

Assistant coach Juan Soto also mentioned the importance of getting the end of the bench into the game.

The players echoed their coaches’ sentiment.

“We’re getting people in, we’re getting rotations, and that kind of helps bring guys off the bench that are fresh,” senior Alex Pabon said.

That bench depth leads to well-rested players. The Movin’ Mavs first two Saturday games showed that the squad’s constant motion and rabid on-court activity could wear down an opponent.

“Not everybody’s as fit as us,” Pabon said. “The fact that we can use that to our advantage, besides our skills and knowledge of the game, at this level any little bit helps.”

The Movin’ Mavs finished the first phase of tournament play with a record of 4-1 and qualified to play in the tournament’s third-place game. They’ll square off against the MedStar NRH Punishers at 10 a.m. on Sunday.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs also participated in the tournament in two games on Saturday. The team picked up wins over the Denver Lady Rolling Nuggets and the Dallas Lady Mavericks in the tournament.

Head coach Jason Nelms said he rested some of the team’s most experienced members, like seniors Abby Dunkin and Rose Hollerman, to give other role players a chance to prepare before important tournaments come up in March.

“Those girls went out there, and as all role players, they went out there and got to become leaders,” Nelms said. “Giving them that opportunity to be leaders out there, it’s just going to benefit us in the long run.”

One of the players who experienced a bigger role in Saturday’s games was sophomore Rachel Gonzalez. The sophomore led the Lady Movin’ Mavs in scoring against Denver when she dropped 21 points. She also scored 12 points in the second game against Dallas.

“On the court today I had to think about what we were going to do,” Gonzalez said. “It was very different not having the key players of the UTA team out there on the court.”

The Lady Movin’ Mavs will finish in the tournament when they face off against the Denver Lady Rolling Nuggets for the second time at 10 a.m. at the Maverick Activities Center on Sunday.

@coylio33 @c_amaya7