Photos: Movin' Mavs suffer defeat in semifinal round of national tournament

Alhassan Sedky, Movin' Mavs graduate student, moves down the court during the game against the University of Alabama on March 15 at the State Farm Center in Champaign, Illinois. The Movin' Mavs were defeated by Alabama in the semifinal game 75-59.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The Movin’ Mavs lost to the University of Alabama by a score of 75-59 in the semifinal round of the 2019 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament. The loss ended the Movin' Mavs hopes of securing their second national title in the last three seasons.  

Alabama took control of the game early and maintained a sizable lead throughout the rest of the matchup. The Crimson Tide extended its lead to 24 points midway through the second half.

The Movin’ Mavs' attempts at a comeback stalled repeatedly in the last 10 minutes of the game and they never got back within 12 points of Alabama.

“We didn’t get off to a very good start,” head coach Doug Garner said. “Basically, we let them out-push us in the first half.”

UTA went cold from the field for a large portion of the game. The Movin’ Mavs connected on 23 of their 73 shot attempts, while Alabama went 28-48 from the field.

“We let that get in our heads,” Garner said. “When your offense isn’t hitting, sometimes it affects your defense, and unfortunately, that’s what happened.”

The Movin’ Mavs will play in the third place game Saturday at 8 a.m. against the University of Missouri. It will be their last game of the 2018-2019 season.

As for next year, Garner said that the Movin’ Mavs will bring back a young team compared to some of their tournament opponents, which will lose more players. The outlook for next year will be about the type of offseason the team has.

“Depends on how hard we work over the summer,” Garner said. “If everybody works hard over the summer, we should be a good team next year.”

@coylio33