Movin' Mavs finish national tournament with third-place win

Movin' Mavs freshman AJ Hummer holds the third-place trophy after the game against the University of Missouri on March 16 at the State Farm Center in Champaign, Illinois. The Movin' Mavs defeated Missouri and placed third in the 2019 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament. 

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The Movin’ Mavs ended their season on a positive note by winning the third place game of the 2019 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament.

UTA rode a dominant second half in which the team outscored the University of Missouri by 19 points and won by a final score of 65-46.

“It’s good to finish off the season with a win,” Movin’ Mavs junior Clarence McCarthy-Grogan said. “None of us wanted to be [in the third place game], especially at 8 a.m., but I don’t wanna come in fourth, either.”

McCarthy-Grogan put forth his best offensive game of the national tournament, with 25 points on 10-14 shooting.

Senior Adryan Powell added another 18 points in the win.

The Movin’ Mavs will hang around State Farm Center for the Lady Movin’ Mavs' championship game at 2 p.m. before heading back to Arlington.

“We’ll definitely be here to support the girls,” head coach Doug Garner said. “We’re looking forward to that; we’re really proud of them.”

UTA ends the season with a 21-8 overall record and a third-place finish at the national tournament for the second straight year. The team will now look to next year.

“We got a lot of new guys this year, so we’ll still have a big group for next season,” McCarthy-Grogan said. “We’re gonna have to bring more energy, just gonna have to bring that explosiveness for the future.”

@coylio33