Photos: Movin' Mavs teams win matches to close out third day of Him Haynes Invitational Homecoming Tournament

Madison Melton, Lady Movin' Mavs sophomore, drives toward the basket during a game against the Wisconsin Adaptive Sports Association Bucks on the third day of the Jim Hayes Invitational Homecoming Tournament on Nov. 9 at the Maverick Activities Center. Melton scored 6 points during the game. 

The Movin’ Mavs and Lady Movin’ Mavs competed in their third day of the 2019 Jim Hayes Invitational Homecoming Tournament on Saturday.

Movin’ Mavs 78, University of Arizona 40

The Movin’ Mavs began their triple-header with a 78-40 win over the University of Arizona on Saturday.

Senior Clarence McCarthy-Grogan had 19 points while nine players from the Movin’ Mavs capitalized on scoring opportunities against Arizona.

Freshman Garrett Castillo said the team started off slow but eventually found its rhythm.

“We came out kind of flat in the first couple of minutes of the game,” Castillo said. “We kind of found our footing and just rolled with it.”

McCarthy-Grogan said he knew the Wildcats were going to come out strong after losing to UTA the night before.

“Beating them yesterday, we knew that they were coming back for revenge, because they weren't happy with their performances,” McCarthy-Grogan said.

Head coach Doug Garner said he talked to his team members to keep them from getting overconfident going into the rematch with the Wildcats.

“The night before was such a large margin of victory, the guys were maybe kind of comfortable going into the game,” Garner said. “Anything better is a victory for them, so we can't let them have that.”

Senior Fabian Romo led the Movin’ Mavs with 27 points in the matchup.

Lady Movin’ Mavs 55, Wisconsin Adaptive Sports Association Bucks 54

The Lady Movin’ Mavs closed out their participation in the Homecoming tournament with a last-second 55-54 victory over the Wisconsin Adaptive Sports Association Bucks. Sophomore Annabelle Lindsay was the lead scorer for UTA with 37 points.

Senior Rachel Kroener finished the matchup with five points, including the last-second game winner to close out the victory.

Movin’ Mavs 78, Tucson Lobos 40

The Movin’ Mavs picked up a convincing 78-40 victory against the Tucson Lobos in their second Saturday game.

UTA wasted little time in mounting a big lead over the Lobos. Romo scored 17 points in the first half as McCarthy-Grogan added eight points to give the Movin’ Mavs a commanding 42-14 lead by halftime.

In a physical first half, Romo said there was pre-game trash talk from Tucson players that gave UTA extra motivation.

“We took that in a positive way, just used it as motivation,” Romo said. “We got off on a very, very good start.”

A balanced offense created a lot of good inside and outside shooting for UTA, which gave the Lobos trouble on defense.

Garner said his team did not quit when things appeared rough against Tucson.

“If something happened, we still got back in gear,” Garner said. “I was real pleased about that, we had problems with that in the past.”

The Lobos were giving Romo minimal attention on defense, creating opportunities for him to get open shots throughout the game. Romo led the Movin’ Mavs with 23 points.

“If they give me that space, to me that's disrespectful,” Romo said. “My primary thing is always getting my teammates involved, but if they're gonna let me shoot, I've been working on it. I take pride in that.”

Senior Adryan Powell credited the victory to a successful game plan and excellent teamwork.

“We stuck to the game plan really well, moving the ball, playing for each other. That was really the difference,” Powell said.

Movin’ Mavs 66, Houston Hotwheels 48

The Movin’ Mavs outlasted the Houston Hotwheels 66-48 in their last Homecoming tournament matchup.

Houston shot the midrange ball well as they led UTA through the middle of the first half. The Movin’ Mavs took advantage of four Houston turnovers that sparked a 14-2 run to take a 32-24 lead into halftime.

Junior Bryce Cruz had six points that helped UTA take the lead in the game.

McCarthy-Grogan, who finished the matchup with 10 points, said the Hotwheels were a team ready to cause disruptions and trouble for the Movin’ Mavs.

“They're grinders, they push the floor, they're like little hound dogs, they’re ready to just push for 40 minutes,” McCarthy-Grogan said. “Being the last game of the day, that's what makes it a little bit tougher.”

After playing two games earlier in the day, Garner points out that fatigue was a reason for the Movin’ Mavs’ slow start to the game.

“It's kind of hard when you got to get up, then you're down, then you got to get back up, then you're down,” Garner said. “So that's kind of what happened at the start of the game, we just had to refocus a little bit.”

Castillo contributed to UTA’s 62-39 lead with eight points.

“I feel like that's just kind of my role on the team,” Castillo said. “Whenever I get in, just go out there and produce, whether it be on defense or offense.”

After going 5-0 in the tournament, Garner said the team will build on this streak of wins as it moves forward.

“I think our intensity starting out for the season is really, really good. When we're on, we are going to be pretty tough to beat,” Garner said.

The Movin’ Mavs will compete next in the CID Tournament from Nov. 22-23 at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

@c_amaya7 @OlmedoAEO