The UTA men’s tennis team had its eight-match win streak snapped as No. 29 ranked Southern Methodist University defeated the Mavericks 4-1 Thursday at the UTA Tennis Center. UTA dropped to 8-2 on the season, while SMU rose to 7-2.

“It was a really good fight,” head coach Diego Benitez said. “Playing them here at home, we thought we could do some damage. In every match it was really close, but we came just a little bit short”

SMU defeated doubles pair senior Mario Muniesa and freshman Marcos Sanz 6-3. Senior Jhonathan Gonzalez and sophomore Mauricio Del Rio won their match 6-4, but the Mustangs took the doubles point after a 6-3 win over senior Daniel Armengol and sophomore Guanarteme Nuez.

In singles, the Mustangs increased their lead to 2-0 as Sanz lost his match 6-2, 6-1. Nuez followed, losing his match 6-3, 6-1, putting SMU up 3-0.

Gonzalez trimmed the Mustangs' lead to 3-1, winning his match 6-3, 6-1.

“It’s always good to give that point to my team,” Gonzalez said. “I don’t really think about me, but just trying to get my team that point as quickly as I can.”

SMU took the 4-1 win after defeating Muniesa in a tight match 6-1, 6-7, 7-5.

Armengol’s match went unfinished at 5-7, 6-1, 6-5. Del Rio’s match also went unfinished at 6-3, 6-7, 2-5.

“We came in today expecting too much from [SMU] and then we soon realized that they’re not that better than us,” Muniesa said. “But it’s a good thing that we lost knowing that we deserve a spot amongst the top 30 teams in the nation.”

The Mavericks hit the road Saturday as they compete against Baylor University at 6 p.m. at Hurd Tennis Center.

“The defeat is going to push us down,” Muniesa said. “But tomorrow is another day, the sun rises again, and were going to start working hard to get ready for Baylor.”