Men's golf ties for second place

Freshman Paul Gonzalez plays his shot out of a bunker on April 23 at the 2018 Sun Belt Conference Men's Golf Championships. Gonzalez was the second-best finisher for UTA as he placed in a tie for ninth at 2-over-par 215.

The men’s golf team capped off its season in a tie for second place in stroke play at the Sun Belt Men's Golf Championships at Raven Golf Club in Sandestin, Florida.

The team finished up stroke play on Tuesday and clinched the No. 2 seed in the match play semifinals on Wednesday.

Overall, the Mavericks posted scores of 295-293-283 to finish in a tie with Georgia Southern University at 19-over-par 871.

UTA was led by senior Aaron Guanlao who tied for sixth at 1-over-par 214. Freshman Paul Gonzalez followed one stroke behind Guanlao, placing in a tie for ninth place at 2-over.

Rounding out the Mavericks, junior Tanner Gore tied for 21st at 7-over, graduate student Nick Thornton tied for 30th at 10-over and senior Jake Greenspoon tied for 48th at 16-over.

Entering match play, UTA faced Georgia Southern in the semifinals, but ultimately fell 3-2.

As the players faced off in descending order of their seed, No. 5 Greenspoon fell in his match 5&4. No. 4 Gore fell 3&2, giving the Panthers a 2-0 lead.

No. 3 Thornton (4&2) and No. 2 Gonzalez (2&1) evened up the field at 2-2, but the Panthers secured the win with a 5&4 decision over Guanlao.