Men's cross-country takes 4th Sun Belt title in 6 years

Senior Michael Guerrero leads early in the men's 4-mile race at the Ken Garland Invitational on Sept. 15, 2018 in Denton, Texas. The men's cross-country team took first place in the Sun Belt Conference Championship.

The men’s cross-country team finished on top at the Sun Belt Conference Championship while the women snuck in a top-10 finish Saturday morning in Mobile, Alabama.

The Mavericks (66) topped defending champs Appalachian State University (76) by 10 points, claiming their fourth conference title in six years.

Senior Michael Guerrero secured a bronze-medal finish with a 24:48 time and was immediately followed by junior Justin Domangue in fourth place, their third top-10 finishes of the season.

Freshman Jared Lautenslager finished 10th, clocking in at 25:32, his second top-15 finish this year.

Junior Cole Klashinsky placed 18th in the field, finishing in 25:52 for his fourth top-20 finish this season. Sophomore Eliseo Rodriguez rounded out the scoring in 31st with a 26:24.

The women’s cross-country team finished 10th out of 12 teams at the Sun Belt Conference Championship, tallying 263 points.

Sophomore Madeleine Rowe, who sat out most of the season with an Achilles' heel injury, ran for the first time this season and was the first of UTA’s women to cross the line, placing 41st in 19:17.

Freshman Valeria Diaz placed 47th, clocking in at 19:21. Junior Bailey Balmer finished 51st with a 19:42 time. Senior Macey Beazley finished 59th with a 20:07 time and junior Chantal Van Der Westhuizen rounded out UTA’s scoring with a 65th place finish in 20:30.

The cross-country teams now look ahead to compete in the NCAA South Central Regional meet Nov. 9 in College Station, Texas.