Sophomore transfer returns to his hometown to join UTA men's basketball team

Sophomore forward Jordan Phillips looks to shoot the ball during the Homecoming game against The University of Tulsa on Nov. 9 at College Park Center. Phillips scored a three-pointer during the game.

After falling to the University of Nevada by a score of 80-73 on Tuesday, the men’s basketball team (2-1) will get back on the road to face two nationally ranked opponents.

UTA vs. No. 14 University of Oregon

The Mavericks will kick things off with a matchup against the No. 14 ranked University of Oregon. The Ducks enter the contest with a 3-0 record, their most recent win coming against the University of Memphis — the No. 13 ranked team in the nation — at the Phil Knight Invitational.

Oregon is currently led in scoring and assists by senior guard Payton Pritchard. He is averaging 19.0 points and 6.7 assists per game so far this season. Sophomore forward Francis Okoro leads the Ducks in rebounding, averaging 9.5 boards per game.

UTA is coming off an early-week loss to Nevada, where the team recorded its worst field goal percentage of the season. The Mavericks were able to connect on 22 of the 64 shots they attempted, 11 of the connecting shots coming from the 3-point line.

Senior guard Brian Warren scored five points on 1-12 shooting against the Wolf Pack, bringing his per-game scoring average to 7.7 on the season. Senior forwards Jabari Narcis and Radshad Davis currently lead UTA in scoring, each averaging 11 points per game.

The Mavericks will face the Ducks at 7 p.m. Sunday at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon.

UTA vs. No. 8 Gonzaga University

After their trip to Oregon, the Mavericks will face off against a familiar foe in No. 8 ranked Gonzaga University.

The Bulldogs currently own a 3-0 record and are led in scoring and rebounding by sophomore forward Filip Petrusev, who is averaging 19.7 points and 9.0 boards per game. Senior guard Ryan Woolridge leads Gonzaga in assists, averaging 6.3 per game.

Last season, UTA fell to the then-No. 8 ranked Gonzaga by a score of 89-55. Warren led the Mavericks in scoring throughout that game with 12 points, while current Washington Wizards rookie Rui Hachimura led the Bulldogs with 20 points.

The Mavericks will square off against the Bulldogs at 8 p.m. Tuesday at McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane, Washington.