Mavericks topple UT-Dallas in season opener

Members of the men's basketball team cheer after a point is scored during the game against UT-Dallas on Nov. 5 at College Park Center. The Mavericks won the season opener 84-50.

The men’s basketball team (1-0) opened its 2019-20 season with a 84-50 win over UT-Dallas on Tuesday at College Park Center.

Head coach Chris Ogden said his team still has some things to work on despite passing its first test of the season.

“We have a lot we have to get better at,” Ogden said.

UTA opened the game with a 9-0 lead, keeping UT-Dallas scoreless until the 15-minute mark of the first half. The Mavericks stayed ahead of the Comets for most of the first period, heading into the locker room with a 37-21 lead.

Sophomore forward Jordan Phillips led all scorers with 12 points on 3-5 shooting going into the second half. Senior guard Brian Warren, UTA’s top scorer last year, was held to one point in the period.

“[Warren] knows how to play,” Ogden said after Warren ended the game with three points. “He had seven assists, two turnovers. So he played like a point guard and a winner.”

UTA outscored UT-Dallas 47-29 in the second half to close out its season opener with a victory. Phillips ended the night with a career-high 17 points on 5-8 shooting, while senior forward TiAndre Jackson-Young scored 19 points. Fifteen of Jackson-Young’s 19 points came from the 3-point line.

Jackson-Young said he liked the energy he saw from both the new and more experienced members of his team.

“It doesn’t matter who leads in scoring, there’s other things that contribute to winning,” he said. “We try to play as a team, it’s not a one person team.”

Phillips, a graduate of Grace Preparatory Academy in Arlington, said it felt good to play in front of his home crowd for the first time at UTA. He transferred from the University of Arkansas late in the 2018-19 season.

“I had a couple family members out there,” he said. “It’s just a blessing.”

Up next, UTA will host its Homecoming game against the University of Tulsa at 7 p.m. Saturday at College Park Center.