default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

6 Mavericks professionally drafted, breaks school record

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:45 pm | Updated: 1:35 pm, Tue Jun 10, 2014.

Six members of the UTA baseball team made school history after being selected in the 2014 MLB Draft this past weekend.

The six Maverick draftees passed UTA’s all-time record for most draft picks in a single season after four were picked up in 2010 and brought the program’s total to 48.

Three of this year’s draft selections also achieved a program-best when they were taken during the top 10 rounds.

UTA’s presence in the draft tied with Texas Christian University and Rice University for the most picks of any school in Texas.

In the Sun Belt Conference, the Mavs had the second-most selections behind conference champions University of Louisiana-Lafayette, who lost seven.

Zach Thompson

Junior pitcher Zach Thompson fields a bunt on May 11 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Junior pitcher Zach Thompson was the first Maverick and Sun Belt Conference player to be taken in this year’s draft.

Thompson was selected in the fifth round, 138th overall, to the Chicago White Sox.

Thompson finished 5-4 as a junior this season and posted a 4.64 ERA with 62 strikeouts, both second best on the team.

In his three-year career at UTA, the starter was 14-12 through 51 innings pitched.

Greg McCall

Senior catcher Greg McCall prepares to hit the baseball on May 11 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Senior catcher Greg McCall was picked up by the Milwaukee Brewers in the ninth round, 266th overall.

In his final season, the catcher led the team with 11 home runs and was second with 48 RBIs. The battery for the Mavericks also was named to the 2014 Academic All-Sun Belt Conference team.

McCall was a four-year letter winner at UTA and a member of the 2012 Southland Conference Championship and 2013 Western Athletic Conference regular-season Championship teams.

While in a Maverick uniform, McCall played in 183 games and finished with 108 RBIs and 19 home runs.

Matt Shortall

Senior designated hitter Matt Shortall swings at a pitch on May 11 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Senior designated hitter Matt Shortall was the third and final UTA pick on the second day of the draft.

The slugger was selected in the 10th round, 292nd overall, by the Philadelphia Phillies.

Making his mark on UTA, the designated hitter broke the single-season record with 26 doubles in the 2014 season. With his collection of doubles and 150 total bases, Shortall currently reigns in the top 10 in the nation. Shortall also ranks 16th with 88 hits and 23rd with 57 RBIs nationwide.

In his senior year at UTA, the Maverick was added to the Louisville Slugger Pre-Season third-team All-American and earned a spot on the 2014 first-team All-Sun Belt Conference.

Ryan Bottger

Junior infielder Ryan Bottger throws the ball to second base on April 19 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Day three of the draft opened with UTA’s fourth and record-tying selection of the season. Junior left fielder Ryan Bottger was drafted in the 12th round, 346th overall, to the Houston Astros.

The slugger led the team with a .368 average and blasted seven home runs. His .588 slugging percentage and .472 on-base percentage were both team-highs, while his 22 strikeouts remained a team-low.

Bottger was featured as the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week twice this season and in turn was named to the 2014 first team All-Sun Belt Conference.

Derek Miller

Junior center fielder Derek Miller slides into home plate on May 11 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Miller served as the Mavericks’ sole lead-off hitter for the past two years. In his three-year career at UTA, the outfielder hit .277 as batting average and a personal-best of .304 in 2014. Miller was first on the team with six stolen bases and second with 46 runs scored this year.

Jess Amedee

Junior pitcher Jess Amedee throws the ball on April 19 at Clay Gould Ballpark. (The Shorthorn: File photo)

Junior pitcher Jess Amedee set the new school record when his name was called Saturday. The final UTA draftee was selected 821st overall in the 27th round to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The pitcher ranked first on the team with seven pick-offs and tied for a team-high of four saves. Amedee threw 46 strikeouts in 48.1 innings and appeared in 19 games for UTA.

@CassieLogan_UTA

cassandra.logan@mavs.uta.edu

Junior center fielder Derek Miller slides into home plate on May 11 at Clay Gould Ballpark. Erik Velasquez

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Recent Activity

Featured Classified Ad