Senior forward Jabari Narcis had one of the biggest games of his collegiate career as the men’s basketball team (2-0) defeated the University of Tulsa 73-59 Saturday at College Park Center on Saturday.

Narcis recorded his 10th career double-double as he scored 16 points and collected 10 rebounds in UTA’s winning effort.

The Trinidad and Tobago native said UTA’s game plan wasn’t centered around him, the team just went out, played hard and grabbed rebounds.

UTA came out of the gates hot to lead 12-2 at the 15-minute mark of the first half. Tulsa closed the gap about three minutes later and tied the game up at 12-12.

The Mavericks were able to pull away and maintain a lead for most of the first period. UTA went into the break with a 33-23 lead after shooting 10-31 from the floor. Narcis led UTA in scoring with 10 points, while senior forward Radshad Davis followed closely with seven points.

Entering the second half, UTA embarked on a hot shooting streak. At the 14-minute mark, the Mavericks made seven of their eight shot attempts and went 4-4 from the 3-point line.

Senior guard Brian Warren said Tulsa came out running a man-defensive scheme in the second half and UTA was able to capitalize on it by running the motion offense that it had been practicing since the offseason.

Narcis finished with four 3-pointers, while Warren tallied 15 points on 4-10 shooting to seal the Homecoming victory for the Mavericks.

UTA will now head out west on its first long road trip of the 2019-20 season. Head coach Chris Ogden said he believes his team can compete against high-quality opponents like the University of Oregon and Gonzaga University.

“Our best basketball is ahead of us, obviously we want to play our best basketball in March,” Ogden said. “I got a lot of confidence in this team because of the effort that I know they’re going to give.”

The Mavericks will travel to Reno, Nevada to play the University of Nevada at 9 p.m. Tuesday at Lawlor Events Center.