A free Madden NFL ’15 tournament will be held at the Maverick Activities Center Lounge at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Drew Barfield, assistant director for Intramural Sports, said the tournament, like many of the individual or dual sport events, usually gets most of its entrants the day of the event.

“We don’t really have entrants before hand,” Barfield said. “For events like the Madden tournament we usually have between 10 and 20 participants and registration is mostly the day of the event.”

Madden NFL ’15 is a video game based on the National Football League and is published by EA Sports. The game was released Tuesday and is compatible for PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

Barfield said intramural events, such as the Madden tournament, foosball, racquetball and table tennis, have been mainstays since the MAC opened in 2007.

“When we got the televisions upstairs, events in the lounge really picked up,” Barfield said.

Intramural supervisor Darrien Nichols, who will be working in the MAC Lounge during the Madden ’15 tournament, said a lot of intramural participants come prepared.

“Some of the guys act like they’ve been preparing for years or have professional experience,” Nichols said. “Especially the individual tournaments, they get competitive.”

Psychology senior Eduardo Perez, a member of Delta Alpha Omega, said members of his fraternity will partake in some of the team intramural events.

“I came to the MAC to get information for my fraternity about 4-on-4 indoor back,” Perez said. “I didn’t know there was a Madden tournament Thursday, but now that I do I’ll let them know.”

The winner of the event will receive an intramural sports champion T-shirt. Entries are free and due by 7 p.m. Thursday at the MAC Lounge.

@KevinCUTA

kevin.cushingberry@mavs.uta.edu