Lady Movin' Mavs go undefeated, win second national title

The Lady Movin' Mavs celebrate after defeating the University of Alabama 65-55 and securing their second national title during the 2018 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament on March 17 at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, Minnesota.

Following their national championship-winning season in 2018, the Lady Movin’ Mavs were presented with their championship rings at halftime of the men’s basketball team’s season-opener.

Last year’s national title was the second in three years for the Lady Movin’ Mavs. Head coach Jason Nelms said he wants to emulate the dynasty that the late Jim Hayes had with the Movin’ Mavs when he was head coach.

Here’s an up close look at the rings:

side

Left side

The players’ last name and jersey number hug the engraved image of a basketball net. 

Black Finish 

A slick black finish contrasts the traditional gold or silver look that’s found on the 2016 championship ring. 

Front

Front

There are 66 studded stones scattered across the top of the ring, surrounding a basketball and the Maverick logo.

Inside

Each players’ full name is engraved on the inside of the ring. 

Right side

Engraved between “National Champions” and “2018” is “UTA 20-0,” representing the undefeated season the Lady Movin’ Mavs had on their way to winning the national title.  

Point Left