Lady Movin' Mavs defeat University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, advance to finals

Abby Dunkin, Lady Movin' Mavs senior, looks for an open teammate during the game against the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater on March 14 at State Farm Center in Champaign, Illinois. The Lady Movin' Mavs defeated Wisconsin-Whitewater by a score of 68-44.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The top-seeded Lady Movin’ Mavs handled the fourth-seeded University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in a 68-44 rout to advance to the National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament championship game.

“[Wisconsin-Whitewater] is a pretty good team. They have two really good shooters, but if you can stop those two shooters, then it’s tough for them to get inside,” head coach Jason Nelms said. “So our first lineup that’s really big, it’s tough for them to come out there and do anything against.”

The Warhawks hung around through the first quarter of play, but the Lady Movin' Mavs outscored them 25-4 in the second quarter to take control of the game. UTA coasted to victory in the second half, extending their lead to as many as 35 points before ultimately registering a 24-point victory.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs were led in scoring by senior Rose Hollermann, who took over the game early and cashed in 18 first-half points. She finished the matchup with 20 total points.

Nelms said that he was hoping his squad would build an early lead so he could get to empty out his bench and get his substitutions in. UTA was able to do just that.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs will take on the winner of the University of Alabama and University of Illinois semifinal game. The championship will be played on Saturday at 2 p.m.

For now, the Lady Movin' Mavs get to relax and wait for their next opponent.

“It was a great start to nationals for us, we were able to get everyone scoring, get everyone in good position,” Hollermann said. “That’s what you want going into a national championship game, get everyone feeling good.

@coylio33