Women's basketball team to host first round matchup of Women’s National Invitation Tournament

Freshman guard Terryn Milton moves around defenders during the Sun Belt Conference Women's Basketball Championship semifinals against the University of South Alabama on March 15 at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. The team was announced as an automatic qualifier for the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

The women’s basketball team will host Stephen F. Austin State University at 7 p.m. Thursday at College Park Center in the first round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. 

Lady Mavericks qualify for Women’s National Invitational Tournament

The Lady Mavericks accept their co-conference championship trophy before the Sun Belt Conference Women's Basketball semifinals against the University of South Alabama on March 15 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. The team was announced as an automatic qualifier for the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

UTA was announced as an automatic qualifier for the Women’s National Invitation Tournament following its elimination from the Sun Belt Conference Women’s Basketball Championships on Friday.

The Lady Mavericks and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock were crowned as regular season co-conference champions, giving both a chance for automatic qualification to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. Since Little Rock won the conference tournament and advanced to the NCAA tournament, UTA received the automatic bid.

It’s the first postseason berth for the Lady Mavericks since the 2016-17 season, when they lost in the first round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament to Tulane University. This season will mark the team's third appearance at the tournament.

This article has been updated with new information. The final bracket for the Women’s National Invitation Tournament was announced Monday.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.