Lady Mavericks secure win in double-overtime thriller

Freshman guard Katie Ferrell chases after the balling during the game against Appalachian State on Jan. 10 at College Park Center. Ferrell highlighted the box score with a stat line of 21 points, 17 rebounds, six assists, two blocks and three steals.

The women’s basketball team (10-4, 2-1) picked up a hard-fought victory over Appalachian State University in a game that featured 12 lead changes and two overtime periods Thursday night at College Park Center.

Head coach Krista Gerlich applauded the effort of both teams, describing the double-overtime thriller as “one of those where you hated to see somebody lose.”

“We had some kids really step up and do some things that they haven’t done this year,” Gerlich said. “That’s what good players do, they step up in big time situations and make big time plays.”

UTA was lifted by multiple players in double digits, including a 29-point showing from senior guard Cierra Johnson. Freshman guard Katie Ferrell highlighted the box score with a stat line of 21 points, 17 rebounds, six assists, two blocks and three steals.

The first quarter saw the Lady Mavericks jump off to a hot start after a pair of 3-pointers from senior guard Lauren Billie and junior guard Brooke Alexander sparked what would be a 10-0 run. The Mountaineers managed to bridge the gap, bringing themselves within six at the end of the first.

Appalachian State outscored UTA 13-11 in the second quarter to cut into what was once a comfortable 10-point lead as the Mountaineers trailed by a slim 33-37 heading into the locker room.

Leading into overtime, the third and fourth quarters were a back-and-forth battle. The game tied seven times within the two-quarter span.

The majority of the fourth quarter was played at the free throw line, where Johnson hit the game-tying shot that sent both teams into extra minutes.

With the fifth period underway, Appalachian State jumped ahead by three points, but Johnson later responded with a 5-0 run to knot the game at 89-89, granting the Mavericks yet another five minutes to seal the deal.

Johnson and freshman guard Terryn Milton shined in what would be the sixth and final period as the Mavericks outscored the Mountaineers 10-5 to secure the victory.

The Mavericks return to the court at 2 p.m. Saturday to host Coastal Carolina University at College Park Center.