Lady Mavericks claim regular season titles, clinch No. 2 seed

The women’s basketball team (23-6, 15-3) produced a 44-41 comeback win over Texas State University to take home the Sun Belt Conference regular season title.

The win was enough for UTA to share the crown with the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, which both end their regular seasons with a 15-3 conference record.

UTA will be seeded No. 2 in the Sun Belt Conference Championships while Little Rock will take the No. 1 seed based on head-to-head records.

The achievement marks the first regular season conference title under head coach Krista Gerlich. The crown breaks a 10-year drought for league titles dating back to 2008-09 when UTA played in the Southland Conference.

The Lady Mavericks trailed to the Bobcats for much of the game until the final minutes of the fourth quarter, closing an 11-point deficit from halftime. Freshman guard Terryn Milton and junior guard Aysia Evans led the team in scoring with 12 points apiece.

With a triple-bye in hand, UTA qualified for the semifinal round of the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Women’s Basketball Championships. Its first matchup will be at 2 p.m. March 15 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana.