Lady Mavericks blowout Chicago State in Homecoming opener

Sophomore guard Terryn Milton drives past her opposition during the game Nov. 9 against Chicago State University at College Park Center. The Mavericks won their Homecoming game 84-53.

The women’s basketball team (1-0) soared over Chicago State University to win 84-53 on Saturday at College Park Center for its Homecoming game to start the season.

All nine Lady Mavericks who saw playing time scored points, highlighting the team’s versatility in many areas of the court. Although the team is still looking for its identity this season, the win was a good place to start, head coach Krista Gerlich said.

“We just have a lot of options, and we don’t have to be just one-dimensional,” she said. “We’re multi-dimensional, versatile superwomen.”

Sophomore center Misty Dossey was the afternoon’s big heroine in the superhero-themed game. She came off the bench to score a career-high 26 points and posted nine rebounds.

Gerlich said she was pleased with the team’s 50 rebounds and 25 assists, but giving up 20 turnovers was an issue for the Lady Mavericks.

UTA’s action in the paint was another highlight, with the team shooting 30-45 from inside the arc. Gerlich said the team’s post play is heading in the right direction and will try to improve ton that facet of the game.

Sophomore guard Katie Ferrell shared the ball the most, providing nine assists to her teammates and nabbing 10 boards.

There was a lot of physical play to start the first quarter, with the only points coming from the free-throw line. Dossey’s post-play helped her notch seven early points, rounding it off with an and-one to close the period with a 21-16 lead.

UTA started the second quarter on a 6-0 run but key 3-pointers by the Cougars offense kept Chicago State in the game. UTA shared the ball through the game, Gerlich’s favorite stat, notching 14 assists by halftime and led 46-32.

The Lady Mavericks kept up their efficient shooting near the paint in the third quarter. Dossey and sophomore forward Emma Halverson constantly finished off-post plays to keep UTA’s advantage, but Gerlich admitted the team can try to slow down play to maintain a good pace.

Halverson ended the contest with 15 points, a career-high, plus four rebounds and four assists.

UTA didn’t relent in the fourth quarter, seeing out the game and holding Chicago State to just seven points to win the game 84-53.

The Lady Mavericks will stay in Metroplex this week, facing the University of North Texas at 7 p.m. Friday at the UNT Coliseum.