Dallas Wings lose home win streak to the Indiana Fever

Dallas Wings guard Allisha Gray shoots the ball surrounded by three defenders July 5 during the game against the Indiana Fever at College Park Center. Gray finished the night shooting 40% from the field and scoring 6 points.

The Indiana Fever (6-9) snapped the Dallas Wings’ (4-8) home-winning streak with a 76-56 win Friday at College Park Center.

The Wings have lost each of their four games against the Fever this season — three during the regular season and once in preseason. Tonight, they were outscored in each period, with Indiana’s 20 fast break points proving particularly deadly for Dallas’ two.

Wings head coach Brian Agler said the team has a lot to learn from a game like this and the team has a quick turnaround for the next game on Sunday.

“There’s a certain way we have to play to play well,” he said. “We started getting a feel for that leading up to this game, but tonight we got completely away from it.”

Center Theresa Plaisance and guard Allisha Gray opened the scoring with four points apiece. But, Dallas found itself in a shooting rut, with only six of its 18 shots landing and none from deep in the first quarter.

Agler said the team shot too much from beyond the arc, making only four of out 25 attempts. He added that both halves were disappointing across the board and Indiana outplayed Dallas on the night. 

Plaisance, who led the team from deep scoring three from eight, agreed.

“We just settled for the three tonight, and the three wasn’t falling for us,” she said. “On a night like this, we need to do a better job of getting in the paint, and that starts with me.”

Indiana continued to dominate at the start of the second quarter, expanding its lead by nine points in the period before leading 37-30 by halftime.

The Fever showed no signs of slowing down, starting the third quarter with a 7-0 run. Dallas’ breath of life came from Plaisance, with a pair of 3-pointers and defensive plays with rebounds and a block on Indiana guard Kelsey Mitchell late in the third. Still, it proved too little as the Wings trailed by 15.

Rookie guard Arike Ogunbowale managed to notch 15 points, a joint-game high with Plaisance.

Plaisance said the Wings lacked defense against a good Indiana team and didn’t win enough loose balls or offensive rebounds. Indiana outscored Dallas 21-13 in the fourth quarter to finish off the game.

“We have to do certain things certain ways for us to be successful,” Agler said. “We sorta had our recipe and then tonight it didn’t happen.”

Dallas will fly out to face the Chicago Sky on Sunday before returning to College Park Center to host the Los Angeles Sparks at noon Tuesday.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.