Photos: UTA, Midwestern State University play exhibition match for ovarian cancer awareness

Sophomore guard Katie Mayhue charges past a defender from Midwestern State University during an exhibition game Oct. 30 at College Park Center. The Lady Mavericks will play at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. 

During Homecoming, hordes of UTA students attend basketball games, whether they’re fans or not. Here’s what you need to know if you’ve never attended a home game before:

Pregame

When you head over to College Park Center, you should always make sure you have your student ID handy. Admission to all UTA athletic events is free if you can present it at the Gate One entrance.

UTA students may also gain complimentary admission for one friend per game, according to UTA Tickets.

Once you’re inside, you can see either the Mavericks or Lady Mavericks warming up on the court and their opponent on the opposite side. The MavBrass pep band will play the “Star-Spangled Banner” a few minutes before the arena’s announcer calls out both teams’ starting lineups.

UTA’s wheelchair basketball teams, the Movin’ Mavs and Lady Movin’ Mavs, will also host games during this week’s Homecoming festivities. The teams will host the 2019 Jim Hayes Invitational Homecoming Tournament at the Physical Education Building and the Maverick Activities Center. Students also receive free admission to these games.

First half

In college basketball, men’s teams generally play two 20-minute halves while women’s teams play four 10-minute quarters.

Communications lecturer Jennifer Little said the main objective in basketball is simple: For one team to score and keep the other one from scoring.

Teams will usually execute the game plan they made in advance to prepare for their opponents in the game’s first half. They can make adjustments to those game plans after the halftime break.

Halftime

During the halftime break of UTA’s basketball games, you can expect to see a performance from the Maverick Dance Team. On this occasion, you will also see the coronation of UTA’s Homecoming king and queen take place while both teams are in the locker room.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs will also host a halftime performance during their Thursday matchup against the Great Britain national team. The Ayita Wheelchair Dance group will perform during halftime at the Physical Education Building.

Sophomore forward Jordan Phillips, a transfer from the University of Arkansas, said UTA’s Homecoming seems a little different from the football-oriented one he experienced at his former university.

“They’re still pretty big football fans,” Phillips said. “Here the tradition [is] we’re the big sport.”

Halftime usually lasts 15 minutes in both men’s and women’s collegiate basketball games.

Second half

This is when you can expect the teams on the court to make adjustments to try and pull off a victory. After halftime, both teams switch sides and attempt to score in the opposite direction.

Although the end result is in the air, you can always expect the MavBrass to play UTA’s alma mater after the game is over.

Journalism senior Isiah Nunez said he expects to attend all UTA Homecoming festivities and is ready to see both teams finish the day with victories.