Cross-country season ends short of NCAA Championship

Junior Justin Domangue runs during the Ken Garland Invitational on Sept. 15, 2018 in Denton, Texas. Domangue finished in eighth place at the NCAA South Central Regional.

Junior Justin Domangue's eighth-place finish at the NCAA South Central Regional highlighted the end of UTA's cross-country season Friday in College Station, Texas.

Domangue finished the 10 kilometer race in 31:58.9 and matched UTA alumnus Craig Lautenslager's best-ever regional finish in the process. Following his 11th-place finish in the previous regional meet, this marks the second year running where Domangue is only a few places from qualifying for the NCAA Championship as an individual.

Senior Michael Guerrero capped off his collegiate career with a 24th-place finish in 32:33.4. He was looking to become the first runner in UTA history to make multiple NCAA Championship meets but ultimately fell short.

Junior Cole Klashinsky placed 54th place in 33:31.6 while freshman Jared Lautenslager placed 77th in 34:01.2, respectively.

Rounding out the Mavericks, sophomore Eliseo Rodriguez finished 84th in 34:20.9 and senior Grayson Birka finished 105th in 34:55.0.

On the women's side, junior Bailey Balmer and freshman Valeria Diaz also made the trip to College Station. Diaz competed and finished 127th of 154 runners, with a time of 24:21.4 in the women's 6k race.