Cross-country season ends short of NCAA Championship

Junior Justin Domangue runs during the Ken Garland Invitational on Sept. 15, 2018 in Denton, Texas. Domangue finished in eighth place at the NCAA South Central Regional.

Cross-country junior Justin Domangue has qualified as an individual to the NCAA Championships, the NCAA announced Saturday.

Domanague finished in eighth place at the NCAA South Central Regional meet and was added to the field after an at-large selection process.

The top four individuals from outside the top two teams qualify automatically. Domangue finished as the sixth-best and was added to fill the field of 255 runners.

"It's great. Honestly, I didn't sleep at all last night because I was nervous if I made it or not," Domangue said.

Head coach John Sauerhage said he's excited for Domangue. He is one of only six runners from UTA to qualify for the NCAA Championships. Former members who made it are teammate senior Michael Guerrero in 2016, alumni Mark Newland in 1977, Ben Melly in 1987, Henrik Skoog in 1998 and Craig Lautenslager in 2016.

Domangue will compete in the NCAA Championships on Nov. 17 in Madison, Wisconsin.