A relatively new debate in the sports world has been whether or not Esports should be considered sports.

Esports are defined as competitive tournaments of video games, especially among professional gamers.

This really became a topic of debate on April 26, 2015 when ESPN aired the Heroes of the Dorm Finals, where participants competed in Heroes of the Storm with a grand prize of free tuition for the winning team.

Some ESPN viewers said they were outraged and others found that it was nationally televised on a sports network somewhat comical. Although some people may not want to hear it, Esports are sports.

Esports is competitive just like any other sport. There are teams, there’s definitely an entertainment value for a select group, there’s a certain level of skill involved and, of course, the end goal is the same: winning.

According to the oxforddictionaries.com definition, a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Those who argue that Esports are not sports harp on the fact that there is not physical exertion involved, so therefore they can't be a sport.

This isn’t true. Although it’s minimal, there is physical exertion in Esports. There are 34 muscles in our palms and forearms that make our fingers move. We use these muscles every time we play video games in the traditional sense. From past experience, I can say after playing video games for a certain amount of time your hands begin to sweat. If that’s not some form of physical exertion, I don’t know what is.

It infuriates some traditional sports fans that Esports were televised on ESPN, but if they aren’t your cup of tea, who cares? I don’t like soccer, but when it airs on ESPN I’m not mad about it. I just change the channel.

If you don’t think Esports are sports, then don’t give them views or recognition. We don’t have to condemn people who think they are. Just change the channel.

@Lopezselby31