Students spend hours on Twitter or Netflix to avoid homework, but instead of glaring at a bright computer screen, a hike in the fall weather may just be the perfect escape.

Campus Recreation will host a hiking trip from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the Fort Worth Nature Center. The hike will extend three to five miles through a guided trail led by members of the Fort Worth Sierra Club.

“Students will experience a truly wonderful hiking experience inside the Fort Worth Nature Center in a vibrant, natural setting,” said Chris Muller, Campus Recreation assistant director. “The hike will be beautiful and interesting and provide a wonderful Sunday afternoon excursion.”

The event is limited to 18 UTA students and is first come, first served. Students can register for $15 at the Maverick Activities Center services and information desk.

Muller said 12 students have signed up and he is expecting a sell-out trip.

Muller said the hiking expedition is a great opportunity for students to be exposed to a part of the Metroplex they have probably never seen, as well as become more in tune with nature.

This is the second semester that Campus Recreation has offered “adventure trips,” Muller said. In the spring, the department reached maximum capacity with its trip to the Trinity Forest Aerial Adventure Park and Trinity River canoe excursion.

The adventure trip programming allows Campus Recreation to reach students with varying interests and serve the needs of the campus community, Muller said. With such a diverse population, the department wants to make sure there’s something for everybody.

Campus Recreation is also responsible for the setup of Movin’ Mavs games, intramurals and its third annual Homecoming 5K on Nov. 22, where students and faculty can run or walk through campus.

Check-in for the hiking trip will last from 11:30 a.m. to noon at the MAC. Students are set to depart for the Nature Center at noon and return at approximately 4:30 p.m.

@CassieLogan_UTA

cassandra.logan@mavs.uta.edu