The Athletics department announced a new scholarship Thursday afternoon that will go into effect in the 2017-2018 academic year.

Athletics director Jim Baker, whose wife, Nancy, died in December, named the scholarship in her memory given her passion for college golf, according to a press release from the Athletics department’s website.

“Nancy loved college golf and loved UTA,” Baker said in the release. “As a lifelong educator, this scholarship keeps her memory alive as our women’s golf program launches. She will always be a part of UTA. I’m so honored to do this for Nancy.”

The Athletics department announced in April this year that a women’s golf program would begin in 2017. Women’s golf will be the first expansion sport at UTA since women’s tennis was added in 1983.

The Nancy Baker Memorial Women’s Golf Scholarship will be awarded to one member of the women’s golf team and has an initial value of $25,000. 

“My sons and I know that she would be proud of the opportunity UTA is providing for young women in the sport of golf,” Baker said in the release. “It is my sincere hope, through the generosity of the many people who loved and cared for Nancy, that this prestigious scholarship is fully endowed within five years.”