Photos: Movin' Mavs warm up for National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament

Basketballs get caught in a net during a Movin' Mavs team shootaround March 13 at the State Farm Center in Champaign, Illinois.

Cooler temperatures, falling leaves and the return of UTA basketball are just a few things you can expect as the fall semester winds down.

My name is Chris Amaya, and I am proud to collaborate with my friends at The Shorthorn to bring you everything you need to stay on track with UTA basketball.

From the Lady Mavericks to the Movin’ Mavs, in this preview you can get to know the newest members of each team, see photos of your favorite players in action and much more.

Every team brings something different to the table, so here are some things to take note of with our annual Homecoming celebrations just around the corner.

The women’s basketball team is looking to defend more than home court when it kicks off its 2019-20 campaign. The Lady Mavericks clinched a share of the Sun Belt Conference’s regular season championship last year, the first under Krista Gerlich since she took over as head coach in 2013.

UTA also made an appearance in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament, picking up its first postseason win against Stephen F. Austin State University in the first round. On top of that, their overall record of 24-8 tied the program-best for most wins in a season.

In its second year under the direction of head coach Chris Ogden, the men’s basketball team is hoping to grab hold of something that’s been out of reach for over a decade — a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

After being projected to finish 11th last season, the Mavericks finished second in the conference, falling one game short of the Big Dance for the second consecutive season. With the help of the team’s top scorer, senior guard Brian Warren, the Mavericks have a chance to secure a No. 15 seed, as projected by NCAA.com analyst Andy Katz in September.

Looking to reclaim their throne in collegiate wheelchair basketball, the UTA wheelchair basketball programs have some work to do.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs fell in the championship game of the 2019 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament.

Despite graduating Team USA stars Abby Dunkin, Morgan Wood and Rose Hollermann to graduation, the team is loaded with national team athletes from the U.S., Canada and Australia and is seeking its third championship title.

A second consecutive third-place finish will accompany the Movin’ Mavs as they enter the 2019-20 season. It’s been two years since the men’s team last sat atop the collegiate rankings, but head coach Doug Garner is optimistic that the attitude of this year’s team and its high basketball IQ will serve them well in the future.

There are plenty of things to look forward to as basketball season rolls around. Join us for the ride and look to The Shorthorn to keep you up to date.

Mav Up and let’s dance, y’all!

­— Chris Amaya, The Shorthorn sports editor