Thanks to misuse by partisan politics, climate change is a difficult topic to discuss. Yet it is an important topic for every organism that inhabits the Earth.

It is also a complicated topic.

Climate change has become a subject of controversy. It shouldn’t be that way, but that’s the way it is.

People seem more inclined to take the opinion of their respective party rather than doing the research and looking at the facts. It makes it hard to discuss climate change, and misinformation can spread easily.

One of the most common misconceptions is the conflation between weather and climate. If it snows one day, climate skeptics (and politicians) wrongly claim it as proof climate change isn’t real or is exaggerated.

Abdalgadir, Sally

Abdalgadir is a geology junior and CommUNITY Voices columnist for The Shorthorn.

NASA defines weather as the day-by-day state and behavior of the atmosphere, and climate as the average pattern of weather over a period of time. So, if humidity in an area gets progressively higher over the course of several summers, that would mean there is a change in climate.

For example, when discussing the high levels of carbon dioxide in the air, I noticed many shrug it off or mention that carbon dioxide emission in the past was much higher than it is today.

There is something wrong with that way of thinking.

While it is true that the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere in the past was higher, these people somehow fail to look at the cause and effect of this.

Annually, humans produce more carbon emissions than volcanic activity.

When carbon emissions from humans are more than natural ones, we have a serious problem on our hands. It is an issue too grave to make political.

The most cynical misconception about climate change is that we cannot do anything about it.

There are many different things one can do to reduce their carbon footprint, such as wasting less food and water; incorporating less meat into their diet; carpooling, taking public transportation or using a fuel efficient car; switching to LED lightbulbs (since they use significantly less energy and last longer); and thinking about switching to renewable energy.

The well-being of our planet and the organisms that live on it should not turn into something that divides us.

Given the nearly countless studies out there, we should work together to mitigate the problem before it is really too late. We have one beautiful, unique planet. We should take care of it.

@smasmasa