CommunityVoices

When I read about Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi initiating an impeachment inquiry on President Trump, I laughed. Nothing will come out of it.

Can Speaker Pelosi legally initiate an impeachment inquiry on Trump? Yes. She legally can.

Is Speaker Pelosi following the historical precedent with how she’s conducting the inquiry? Fat no.

In the past, impeachment inquiries have been introduced on the floor of the full House of Representatives, evidence in hand. However, this would require evidence. Speaker Pelosi merely instructed the committees already investigating aspects of the Trump administration to begin operating under the umbrella of impeachment inquiry.

What does that mean though?

It means that Speaker Pelosi has no evidence, but she’s sure she’ll find some. Which, who knows? She might — eventually.

Byboth, Austin

Byboth is a Spanish junior and Community Voices columnist for The Shorthorn

It’s worth noting that during the Clinton impeachment, Pelosi was quite convinced that lying to the grand jury and bribing a witness weren’t grounds for impeachment. Pelosi even condemned House Republicans for trying to tear the country apart for doing so.

In following with precedent, then, we can conclude that evidence of Trump’s alleged quid pro quo with the Ukrainan president is paltry in comparison. Even more intriguing than the alleged Trump involvement in Ukraine, is the alleged Joe Biden involvement with Ukraine.

Even after Biden’s public statements on the matter, which seem questionable at best, the left has moved to defend the former vice president, which raises the question: How desperate does the left have to be to rally behind a dated politician like Biden?

Speaker Pelosi’s impeachment inquiry is bogus. It’s a hasty response to an increasing but silent concern on the left that Trump is going to win again in 2020. This attempt to take down Trump is just a political tactic, and it’s not gonna work.

This inquiry is just another one of the manufactured scandals the left uses to attack the president, and I fully expect claims of election fraud in 2020. However, I couldn’t agree more with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that anyone not willing to accept the results of an election is a danger to democracy.

So what am I going to do then? Drink my coffee and wait. Because at this pace, people like me won’t have to do anything except sit tight until next November.