Computers and other electronics are constantly being integrated into more areas of our lives. Not only do we use these devices in our personal lives, but they are a necessary component of our academic lives as well.

We use them to study, research and stay updated on what is happening in the classroom. This affects every major on campus, from computer science students developing code to graphic design students curating logos.

Willis, Robin.jpg

Willis is a public relations and advertising junior and CommUNITY Voices columnist for The Shorthorn.

We have all been warned about the strain electronics place on our eyes. Constant exposure to blue light is a lot for our eyes to process. Blue light penetrates all the way to the retina, the back of the eye.

Too much exposure to this kind of light can damage light-sensitive receptors in the retina. It also has been attributed to the increasing lack of quality of sleep among individuals.

Growing up, electronics weren’t as portable or easy to use, so we were not exposed to them as often throughout the day. Now that technology is increasingly present in our lives, it is important to take care of ourselves and practice healthy habits to keep our eyes safe.

There are personal measures we can take to ensure our eyes do not become too strained from digital screens, but there is more that schools can be doing.

Products on the market can be added to computers to reduce digital eye strain. Anti-glare screens work by reducing glare on your computers, so your eyes do not have to work as hard to see objects. This pairs well with reducing the brightness on your screens, as both help ease the work required of your eyes.

Apple has also developed a Night Shift feature that can be used throughout the entire day. It increases yellow light coming from the device to reduce blue-light exposure. This can be activated on all Apple computers on campus as a protective measure.

All of these methods would be a way for universities to demonstrate how they look after students on campus. With so much emphasis on progress, schools need to be ready to encounter the consequences that follow. If they are going to continue to use digital devices to help students succeed in the classroom, then they need to look after the well-being of those students.

Students should take interest in the health of their eyes, as vision is so important to maintaining a good quality of life, while universities should explore using more protective measures on their electronic devices not only for the health of the students, but also their faculties and staffs.

@robinchristina_