It is well-known that boys are made of “snips and snails and puppy dogs’ tails.” Girls, on the contrary, are made of “sugar and spice and all things nice.” I don’t know what a snip is, but judging by the undesirable collection of the other boy ingredients, it probably isn’t pleasant.

What I do know is that males and females are irreconcilably different. I also believe we are predisposed to some gender roles, though modern feminists may disagree.

That old children’s rhyme says being female is far preferable to being born with boy parts. However, much can change in two centuries, and public opinion seems to have completely pirouetted. The first-wave feminism of yesteryear gave us equal rights, meaning credit lines without a husband or co-signer and birth control pills.

Opinion: Extreme feminism pushes aside common sense norms

King is a journalism junior and CommUNITY Voices columnist for The Shorthorn

This means a woman can buy a pair of Louboutins without asking her husband’s permission and not worry that an unexpected newborn will hinder her ability to make the credit card payment.

The first feminists planted the seeds of what would become less equal rights and more equal biology. It is becoming more and more common for women who identify as feminists to deny biological differences, ushering society toward androgyny.

While I believe gender identity is an intimate and personal choice, it should remain a choice based on an individual’s internal feelings, not society’s external influence. In the quest for sameness, many women are shedding the qualities that make them uniquely feminine. Perhaps most disturbing is the possibility that feminism is perpetuating the same oppression of which women claim to be victims.

At the base level, human beings are just animals with natural instincts.

The one instinctive factor that drives all animals is perpetuation of the species. Biologically, it’s impossible for the mating of two males to result in offspring, so theoretically all maleness all the time would end in the extinction of the human race.

Women are biologically equipped to bear and rear children. Psychologically we are programmed to be primary caregivers to our children. Socially, females are accepted as a child’s source of nurture.

Therefore, every person breathing air in this moment owes their existence to a female sex role. This includes feminists who might use that breath to protest marriage and bearing children.

But we can also look at the issue from a nurture standpoint. Society has groomed us to alter our perspectives. It should encourage change and forward progress but not to the detriment of others. Young girls are being taught that females can be anything they choose unless that choice is to be a wife and mother. In addition to impossible beauty standards, young women are facing equally difficult ambition standards.

Now, women who stride confidently into the office wearing slacks demand to be treated exactly like their male colleagues. They then file a complaint if one of those males inadvertently compliments their khakis.

I do acknowledge this is a very hasty generalization about the behavior of women in the workplace, used for dramatic effect. But I will say that disproportionate reactions to basic human behaviors occur more frequently now.

I am not questioning the validity of stories of discrimination or harassment. Having been a woman for roughly 40 years and having also worked for some companies, I’ve had my fair share of #MeToos. But you know who else has experienced the same issues? My male co-workers.

Women are fighting so hard against their own biology to prove they are absolutely equal to men, it implies that being female is somehow negative.

The feminist ideals that glorify career success and individual advancement above all else may be conveying a different message: That femininity is cause for shame.

Modern day feminists claim that women who adhere to traditional roles are wrong.

My thought is if society continues to move down this road, we will begin to see crusaders for the first wave of the “masculinism” movement.

And I’ll be right there mightily armed with my voice.

@Duh_Jenius