Homework, class, tests, work — all of these are hard to do every single day. But what is the hardest thing of all? Sleep.

Sleep is one of our most important functions, but all of us, at one point or another, put it off to do something else. (I’m looking at you, Netflix!) Without sleep, our memory, judgment and emotions are all impacted. Not getting proper sleep not only damages our health, but our GPAs too.

Ghodes, Jada

Ghodes is an English sophomore and Counseling and Psychological Services ambassador.

It’s almost finals season and that means most of us are cramming everything we avoided this past semester into all-nighters. According to a study by the University of Colorado Boulder, pulling an all-nighter can “influence blood sugar, energy metabolism, and immune function.”

I know for myself that when I don’t get enough sleep, I get irritable, my blood sugar drops and I end up falling asleep in places I shouldn’t... *cough, cough* never in my math class though...

It makes me wonder why all-nighters are even worth it. If I stay up to do an assignment and then fall asleep in that class, what was the point?

It’s all about time management. Let me repeat that for those in the back: “TIME MANAGEMENT!”

College is hard, and learning time management is such a crucial but difficult skill to master. We all learn to write our test dates down when an assignment is due, but what about sleep? We always put that on the back burner.

This semester, I have really had to learn how important it is.

When I am stressed, I don’t sleep, and with finals rolling around, sleep is the last thing on my mind. But after reading article after article about the relationship between sleep and stress, I noticed one major theme. The more stressed you are, the less sleep you get and the less sleep you get, the poorer your grades are. So the lesson is sleep more.

Try a week where you sleep at least eight hours a night. If you can’t fall asleep, try eight hours to just chill and lay in bed and relax.

It will help your attentiveness and cognitive function in class, and we need all the brain power we can get with finals coming up.

Thanksgiving is rolling around, so take this time to relax. Remember that it is okay to put down that book or laptop and just sleep.

Remember: your physical, emotional and mental health are the most important things in your life.