CNN reporter Jim Acosta found himself at the receiving end of another anti-press rant by President Donald Trump last week.

The face-off, which resulted in the immediate suspension of Acosta’s White House credentials, occurred after the reporter pressed the president on his description of the Central American migrant caravan as an “invasion.”

A White House intern attempted to take the microphone from Acosta, who resisted.

“I’ll tell you what, CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them,” Trump told Acosta. “You are a rude, terrible person. You shouldn’t be working for CNN.”

This is obviously not the first time Trump has clashed with the CNN representative, who also has a history of contentious run-ins with Sarah Huckabee Sanders, White House press secretary.

Sanders took to Twitter after the exchange to explain the reasoning behind the suspension of Acosta’s credentials, falsely claiming the reporter “placed his hands” on the young intern and sharing doctored video footage of the event in question.

Twitter users responded soon after to notify the press secretary that the video wasn’t entirely truthful. It remains undeleted.

In these actions, the White House has chosen intentionally to support and disseminate the very “fake news” it purports so adamantly to oppose. It has demonstrated clear disregard for accurate event reporting in favor of pushing its anti-journalist agenda, and Trump and Sanders are the most directly responsible for it.

If it feels like something along these lines happens every week, it’s because that’s not far from the truth. We haven’t even had a month to recover from the package bomb scare as a result of Trump’s divisive rhetoric.

As student journalists, The Shorthorn condemns the decisions of the White House and its response to Jim Acosta’s actions that day.

We must allow reporters to ask hard questions, always, as there is no better way to get the hard answers.

The Shorthorn Editorial Board is made up of Opinion Editor Shay Cohen, Editor-in-Chief Narda Perez, News Editor Samantha Douty, Life and Entertainment Editor Maxwell Hilliard, Copy Desk Chief Caitlin Sherrill, Sports Reporter Dallas Johnson and News Reporter Jacob Reyes.

Johnson was not present for this editorial meeting.