Editorial: Use on-campus resources to stay focused this semester

It has been eight weeks since the start of the fall semester. With application deadlines and assignments piling up, it’s possible to lose focus on what you’re trying to accomplish not just in school, but in life after college.

School can be overly demanding, and with that may come stress. According to the National College Health Assessment, only 1.6% of undergraduate college students said they felt no stress in the past 12 months.

Stress should not derail our ambitions and goals. If you’re overwhelmed or losing focus because of stress, schedule an appointment with UTA’s Counseling and Psychological Services. Students are eligible for six free sessions throughout the semester and pay $10 per session after those six.

Focus on ways to better yourself. Then get back to work. University Tutorial and Supplemental Instruction provides additional practice for students, like weekly peer academic sessions to help enhance your understanding of certain courses. UTSI also provides eTutoring services online.

When it comes to planning ahead, the Lockheed Martin Career Development Center consults and works with students to help connect them with potential employers. Career consultants offer resume critiques for those who want them. They also conduct scheduled mock interviews to help ease any nerves students may have.

The resources provided by the university serve as a reminder why we’re all here in the first place: to further our own lives. We’re all students with different backgrounds and passions and a similar goal.

That internship you’ve been eyeing? Apply. That scholarship application? Don’t forget to order your transcript and ask for recommendation letters early.

Spring graduation is closer than you think. Plan ahead so when the time comes, all you have to do is walk across the stage.

Bettering yourself is an opening to work toward smaller goals, which in turn result in accomplishing bigger goals, like graduation, internships and fruitful employment.

There are less than two months left in the semester. We’re almost at the finish line. Let’s make sure we have the energy and focus necessary to get there.

The Shorthorn Editorial Board is made up of opinion editor Jacob Reyes; Editor-in-Chief Reese Oxner; associate news editor Rocio Hernandez; multimedia editor Anna Geyer; Amanda Padilla, life and entertainment editor; news reporter David Silva; copy editor Taylor Crist and copy editor Andrew Walter.