If the projections of a new National Climate Assessment report are to be believed, the future of the U.S. looks bleaker than ever.

The report, which was compiled by 13 federal agencies and 300 leading scientists, predicts heat-related death, food scarcity and economic crisis as climate change intensifies over the next century.

Unsurprisingly, the Donald Trump White House doesn’t believe the findings.

But why not? The report is, after all, a product of the president’s own administration.

“This is the coldest weather in the history of the Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC, and one of the coldest Thanksgivings on record!” he tweeted on Thursday.

“Brutal and Extended Cold Blast could shatter ALL RECORDS - Whatever happened to Global Warming?” read another from the day before.

President Trump continues to undermine the work of climate experts even after they explain to him the crucial difference between weather and climate, which he seems to confuse.

What’s so frustrating about these claims is their baselessness — Trump has absolutely no understanding of the science, but it doesn’t keep him from thinking he has a say in it.

This administration’s unwillingness to heed the warnings of climate scientists, men and women who’ve earned degrees and dedicated their lives to enhance understanding of the globe and its behavior, demonstrates staggering levels of arrogance and short-sightedness.

And the most terrifying part of it all? For some reason, people still believe the president over the experts.

It’s not funny. It’s not a distant worry. It’s happening right now.

And if we don’t listen immediately, we may not have a country to mourn for much longer.

The Shorthorn Editorial Board is made up of Opinion Editor Shay Cohen, Editor-in-Chief Narda Perez, News Editor Samantha Douty, Life and Entertainment Editor Maxwell Hilliard, Copy Desk Chief Caitlin Sherrill, Sports Reporter Dallas Johnson and News Reporter Jacob Reyes.