Every day, student journalists at The Shorthorn work to bring stories that inform the UTA community and provide a voice for the student body.

Whether it’s breaking news, crime briefs or in-depth investigative pieces, we aim to provide the story of the moment.

In the last two weeks, we’ve reported about the social suspension of the UTA Greek community and an alleged hazing incident that reportedly occurred at the Sigma Chi fraternity house.

Immediately, we received an influx of responses questioning the accuracy of the stories and citing the lack of students quoted.

When reporting any story, we only publish information we can verify. In our coverage of the Greek life social suspension, we used the UTA Police crime log as a starting place, which is publicly available online.

The stories we’ve published have been accurate and were reported diligently using information from university officials and UTA Police. While there were rumors circulating, nothing was published without confirmation from these sources.

At The Shorthorn, we don’t use sources that are unverified because it ruins credibility with readers. For our initial coverage of the Greek life social suspension, university officials and the police department were the only people able to confirm details and return requests for interviews.

Many readers also inquired why this was reported on before the investigation was over and why it was in headlines at all.

When it comes to crime, we report it as it happens and follow up on cases when new developments happen. When considering timeliness, delaying the release of information can be a safety issue. It is in the public’s best interest to know what is happening as it is occurring.

But in the age of social media, verifying and confirming information before publishing is even more crucial.

Here’s the thing — we want student voices as much as our readers do. For cases like this, they bring a perspective we can’t find anywhere else because of the direct impact, whether it be positive or negative.

During the reporting of stories about the Greek community, The Shorthorn contacted multiple student members. All either neglected to respond or declined to comment.

We want to tell your story as thoroughly as possible, but we can’t do that without you.

Nevertheless, our offer still stands. We are open to interviewing and discussing current events with students and others in the UTA community who have been directly impacted by certain events or simply want to share what they know.

Students and alumni alike are welcome to write letters to the editor or contribute to our CommUNITY Voices program by writing columns about issues that affect UTA and its student body.

If you feel your perspective isn’t being represented, then please write, call or come see us in person.

We’re listening.

The Shorthorn Editorial Board is made up of opinion editor Jacob Reyes; Editor-in-Chief Reese Oxner; associate news editor Amanda Padilla; Carmina Tiscareño, life and entertainment editor; social media editor Narda Pérez; Shay Cohen, copy editor and multimedia journalist; Zaria Turner, life and entertainment reporter; and sports reporter R.J. Coyle.