UTA community members reported three robberies to UTA Police this past week. Police encourage students to be aware of their surroundings, not to leave property unsecured, walk in well-lit areas, avoid walking alone, especially after dark and more. Also, police announced Nov. 4 that four people were arrested in connection to a Nov. 3 report of a cellphone stolen from a female student at the Fine Arts Building.

Do you feel safe on campus? Take our poll. Leave a comment here.

jimmyrogers
jimmyrogers

Do you feel safe on a campus where HUMAN BEINGS ARE USING BALLISTIC WEAPONS TO TAKE YOUR CELL PHONE?

Bad_T
Bad_T

Honestly, we don't need more police officers. They can't be with you at the time you are mugged. Allow students with CHLs to carry on campus. It is our right, guaranteed by the constitution. Nobody has the right to tell students they can't exercise their constitutional rights on campus, because of a few scared non-gun owners. The only place I don't feel safe in Texas is in places where I can't carry, because of unconstitutional laws. I have the RIGHT to defend my LIFE everywhere I go! I have a right to carry a firearm either concealed or openly. It is my right to stop someone from ending my life before I wish it to end. Stop the stupid gun fearing bureaucracy. You don't have any power to tell me I can't carry my firearm.

jimmyrogers
jimmyrogers

GREAT IDEA!!! EXISTING CHL!!! not the NEW ONES!

ehernandez12
ehernandez12

I don't feel safe. I feel that the public safety and police officers on campus are more concerned with meeting their ticket quota per day than actually making sure we have a safe campus.

Ike
Ike

I would feel safer if they put a limit on how strong students could get. I just don't feel comfortable sitting next to someone in class who can obviously bench 300+ lbs. He could just go nuts at any time, and start snapping people's necks like twigs. College can be stressful, what if one of these people just "loose their cool" and start killing people? We must have strength limits!

TSM
TSM

Are you serious, or just joking?

kenichols29
kenichols29

I don't understand why some students feel safer without CHL Carriers on campus. While I do know that college can be a stressful place, many workplaces are the same. And BTW most people don't have a CHL very few people have and you are required to be 21 to get it, unless you were in the military and honorably discharged then it is 18. Therefore the only people that would carry on campus would be adults 21 or older, so majority of them would be seniors or grad students. And getting a CHL is very difficult, you are required to take a class, be proficient with your gun, and pass a background check. People cant get a CHL if they ever had a felony, and if you get a misdemeanor or dui or dwi you must wait 5 years before you can get a CHL. The point I'm trying to make is that CHL holders are some of the most outstanding well behaved citizens. I would trust most of them with my life just as I would trust most cops and most of our armed forces. I feel campus would be a much safe place with Concealed carry and a stronger police presence. While concealed carry wont stop crimes, it will intimidate many would be thieves and they will be less likely to rob someone at gunpoint making campus safer.

AlexJone
AlexJone

I called for a security escort to walk me to my car from the library on Sunday night...I waited about an hour and no one showed up. Luckily I ran into my friend at the library and he ended up walking me to my car instead. So to answer the question, NO, I do not feel safe. God forbid it, but if there was a situation involving a gunman on campus I cannot say that I would feel protected. I will acknowledge that they do keep students informed of crimes that occur on campus and what steps are being taken in their investigation but there is definitely still room for improvement.

Bad_T
Bad_T

If you were allowed to carry a firearm campus you would feel safe. I don't promote carrying any firearm without extensive training, however. If you plan on carrying a gun it is my expectation for all who do to be well trained like I am.

If you are against exercising your 2nd amendment that is fine, just don't try and unconstitutionally block MY rights to stop a perpetrator from ending my life before I wish it to end. If you don't want to carry a firearm call a friend to walk you or wait for an hour for no security escort to arrive. Your choice.

jackjack
jackjack

I don't feel safe. I rarely see police officers. If something bad happened I can't imagine they would be there in time.

Constitutionalist
Constitutionalist

@alltern8ive

Letting students carry would have no effect on the amount of violence, but what it does is give the law abiding people the chance to defend themselves, in essence swinging the advantage to the victims.

Do you feel less safe with police around because they carry guns to protect people and in force the law? Does the fact that police officers carry guns drop the violence? I just want the same opportunity to protect myself with the best form of defense I can get. I'd rather not cower and kiss my ass goodbye in the face of a deranged gunman. Stop being sheeple and open your eyes. You are being force fed the koolaid of the media and government. There is a reason the 2nd amendment is there.

Bad_T
Bad_T

I agree. Besides, laws that ban guns in areas are unconstitutional. Nowhere in the constitution have we the people given government power to restrict where we carry.

TheInformedStudent
TheInformedStudent

I think I would feel more safe if the police caught more of the people doing these crimes. UTA is close to high crime areas so crime is going to happen. Maybe if the police had a station that was easily recognized and students didn't have to search for it (like I did when I turned in some keys one time) criminals will see the presence of authority and be less inclined to steal... especially steal bikes. I've seen a homeless man with a new bike almost every week. Come on now.

Constitutionalist
Constitutionalist

I don't feel safe without my CHL. Too much crime around campus.

alltern8ive
alltern8ive

I don't feel safe, but I'd feel even LESS safe with a bunch of students like you running around, thinking that guns stop violence.

TheInformedStudent
TheInformedStudent

I agree with alltern8ive. Students should not be allowed to carry guns on campus. I've seen and heard too many students loose their cool over the smallest things due to the stress of college.

Common Sense
Common Sense

I disagree with alltern8ive because she's a liberal pansy who wants to infringe on everyone else's rights.

sgtb
sgtb

I'm not sure how informed you are, TheInformedStudent... many places and times in life are stressful. Please provide these reports of students loosing their cool and injuring others before you assume that they'll just start shooting up the place... Walmart is pretty stressful too - especially when there is a long line and you can't get checked out.

@alter8ive - no one wants to run around playing John Wayne... (Or I guess I should say most people who carry a firearm would not) - I doubt that anyone believes that "guns stop violence" but equal fire power can slow it down and grind it to a halt- remember the arms race and the cold war... well you probably don't...

Common Sense
Common Sense

Who said anything about stopping violence? Guns won't stop violence, but I'll tell you what they could do. They could allow me to protect myself, which is more than the officer across campus can do within a split second.

You want to be a disarmed, sheep ready for slaughter, then fine; but don't expect everyone to have your zeal in that approach.

Bad_T
Bad_T

It is your choice not to exercise your 2nd amendment. It is not your right to disallow me from doing it.

stfu_09
stfu_09

I agree with altern8ive to an extent. A lot of college students are very childish (A lot of Frat students and freshmen for example) and do the most retarded things. I think more gunshots would be heard around campus, and most would be shots fired by students who are bored and being stupid. Guns should only be carried by responsible students who will use them only when necessary.

Common Sense
Common Sense

Just the license? Not the gun too? [beam] [tongue]