opMusslemanMUG.6.9.16

Mussleman is a history senior and CommUNITY Voices columnist

No one man needs an arsenal to protect himself or his family.

In light of the Orlando shooting, gun control is once again being brought into the public arena for discussion, with all the usual players voicing the all-too-familiar arguments. Those aside, one fact remains clear, especially to the families of the victims of Sunday’s shooting.

The shooter used legally-purchased weapons to kill 49 people and injured 53 others.

The Orlando shooting was one of 133 to take place in the United States this year alone, according to the Gun Violence Archive site.

The U.S. has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, according to the Council of Foreign Relations site.

Let that sink in.

The majority of states allow citizens to, upon completion of specified requirements, carry concealed weapons, and have provisions supporting the right to keep and bear arms in their constitutions.

The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution states “a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

There are those who argue the Second Amendment was written to allow citizens unfettered access to firearms to defend themselves from the tyranny of an overpowered government.

However, the text of the amendment also provides federal and local governments the power to regulate that right.

Now is the time to do just that.

Regulate the arsenals, end the ban on gun violence research, use reasonable legislation to find a compromise between constitutionally-protected rights and the public health.

Create a federal standard. Require proper licensing, inspection and registration. Keep a list of owners, track the sale and distribution, make background checks and training more robust.

Build all of these changes on well-researched data and end this cycle of violence that has allowed the few to end the lives of so many.

It’s time for Americans to have a conversation and take a long look at gun violence.