op.AngeloMug

You’ve probably heard them once or twice or even more times than you’re willing to count: The same advice that always seems to be dispensed to us as children.

“Don’t run with scissors!”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full!”

Or one of my personal favorites, “don’t sit so close to the television, you’ll go blind!”

No matter what you were told over the years, one piece of advice that we’ve probably all heard is “don’t judge book by its cover.”

Now If you think you’re about to read an article of some guy in a wheel-chair who is about pour his heart out, making you feel like a better person for having read it, then I suggest you take this piece of advice and turn the page. Move on to the classifieds, try your hand at the SODOKU puzzle and get on with your daily life.

Lets all take a moment to be honest with ourselves: we’ve all made quick judgments of people just by looking at them, only to find out you actually have more in common with the person than you thought. I’ve even known someone who at one time said she would “never” date a guy simply based on how he looked. More recently, I faced an assumption that kept someone from participating in school wide event just because they looked a little different.

Truth be told I rarely give advice. However, I’m always willing to give words of wisdom, which is what I hope to do here.

Remember what it felt like to be good at something but picked last or never picked at all?

Remember being overlooked for a job you knew you could do but you just didn’t look the part?

Didn’t make you feel good, did it?

So why are so many of us still willing to overlook a person simply based on looks? Think to yourself right now, when was the last time you looked at a person and thought they sucked without getting to know them? Now imagine what it would feel like if the shoe was on the other foot.

Remember guys, you never know a person until you truly get to know them. And to stick with the “don’t judge a book by its cover” phrase, before overlooking a book why not pick it up and read a chapter or two. You might find yourself reading the whole thing.