In today’s society, there is still a lot of stigma surrounding mental health.

Mental health myths persuade people to bottle up their feelings instead of talking about them.

According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, some myths imply people who struggle with mental health are dangerous and violent, are unable to work or attend school and are doing it for attention or that there is no hope for them.

These myths discourage people from talking about their issues because they fear others will see them as different or weak.

Being able to deal with your issues and look for help does not make you weak. Instead, you become aware of what triggers your mental health and can prepare accordingly.

We are constantly going to the doctor if we feel sick, but we don’t care much about what’s going on inside our brains.

We prefer to repress and bottle up our feelings instead of looking for ways to make ourselves feel better.

When I was struggling with my own mental health, I was convinced I was incapable of achieving my goals and dreams. With time, I knew I couldn’t fight my battles alone.

Looking for help and talking about my thoughts and feelings was the right decision.

We need to overcome the stigma surrounding mental health by bringing awareness to campus.

As a famous quote from the Semicolon Project says, “Your story is not over yet,” and you must make your life something to look forward to.

There is no need to care about what others may think or say about you. Sometimes, we must put ourselves first.

As weird as that may sound, our mental health comes first, and we should feel satisfied with who we are.

Students enrolled in at least one on-campus class are eligible to receive up to six free individual counseling sessions with the Counseling and Psychological Services office on campus.

You are already paying for them, so you might as well take advantage of the free counseling.

If you fear others might talk behind your back if you talk about your feelings, be confident that there is someone out there who is willing to hear and understand you.

At some point in our lives, we will all struggle with our mental health because of our daily struggles.

As a community, we need to promote mental health awareness and encourage positivity in everyone around us.

@valeriamariad